Thursday, November 11, 2010

my first back to school night

Thursday October 28th and Friday October 29th I experienced my first back to school night and afternoon. This was probably one of the most nerve recking experiences I had so far besides the quality review. Why so scary? What do I expect? How will they react to a first year 5 foot 1 teacher that looks like shes 16 even in a suit? All I knew was I was scared.

How did I handle it?
I handled it like I handle everything, one step at a time.

My advice to future teachers:
  1. Be prepared have all your paperwork, test grades, lab data, attendance ready on your desk before the parents arrive.
  2. Keep it organized I got side tracked during  one of my conferences was and forgot where I put something.
  3. Start with a positive Always start with a positive comment even for your worst student this way you can gain their confidence and then...bam but it won't be as bad for you because they see you as compassionate.
  4.  Candy Sweeten them up before you knock 'em down. Provide your parent visitors with candy.
  5. Don't get your hopes up I only had a total of 20 parents over 2 days, if your working in any school for the most part the parents won't come especially if you don't teach freshman.

No comments:

Post a Comment